Professionalism involves the application of highly technical skills, as well as, the exercise of judgment and decision-making. A true professional is concerned with the continual expansion of their knowledge and abilities, as well as, the knowledge and abilities of their associates. They are a master in their area of responsibility and are an important part of the leadership team.
The contribution of the Controller to the success of our business is indisputable. Thus, it is recognized that our Controller must indeed be a “professional”.
A professional Controller reflects leadership and management skills, high performing finance and accounting skills, attention to detail, strong work ethic, business acumen, and positive impact. This effective combination contributes to the eventual success of the entire store.
- This position reports to the company’s General Manager
- The Controller is responsible for the accounting operations of the company, which includes the production of periodic financial reporting, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles and standards.
- Maintain balance sheet and general ledger integrity
- Manage all accounting functions including A/R, A/P, GL, Cost Accounting, Inventory Accounting, and Revenue Recognition
- Supervise accounting staff; mentor and develop an effective team, managing work allocation, training, problem resolution, performance evaluation, and the building of an effective team dynamic
- Provide weekly financial reporting to managers showing actual spending vs. budget
- Manage and ensure accurate and timely processing of accounts payable, cash control, payroll processing, and total payroll tax compliance
- Responsible for annual budget development and reporting
- Responsible for cash management and planning
- Cross-functional support to the rest of the organization
- Guide and manage the audit process and primary relationship with the external auditor
- Manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Work closely with outside accounting firm to facilitate annual audit and tax filings
- Project management as needed
- Management, training and performance reviews of accounting staff
- Collaboration with management on all levels
- Participation in the leadership and management team
- Periodic business travel as required.
The successful candidate for this position will be a highly motivated self-starter with a material-technical accounting background, highly organized, a strong communicator and leader with operational skills and knowledge, and excellent people skills. This person should be comfortable managing many different types of personalities, situations, projects, and operations.
- Education & Experience
- a minimum of 10 years of Financial Management experience
- a minimum of 5 years of leadership and management experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting
- CPA certification strongly preferred
- Accounting technical competencies: managing closing cycle, interpretation, and analysis of complex financial information, general ledger posting and maintenance, account and bank reconciliations, inventory accounting, local, state and federal tax management, payroll and related taxes and expenses management
- Skills & Abilities
- Strong emotional intelligence-driven leadership skills including the ability to relate to associates across all levels of the organization
- Strong written and oral communication
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects with a thorough focus on detail
- Demonstrated analytical, problem-solving and decision-making abilities
- Experience effectively managing staff, schedules, budgets, and business processes
- Ability to develop, implement and maintain effective standard operating procedures and best practices in all areas of responsibility
- Strong multi-tasking abilities
- Delegation skills